Adult Keelboat Sailing
For 2021, BYC is offering:
Start Keelboat Sailing & Basic Keelboat Cruising
The Barrie Yacht Club offers two levels of Keelboat lessons including Start Keelboat Sailing and Basic Keelboat Cruising. Both require no sailing experience. All Keelboat programs at the BYC are taught by Sail Canada certified instructors and on Sail Canada approved Keelboats.
You do not need to be a member to enroll in our sailing school.
Start Keelboat Sailing
This two-day on the water course teaches the skills to sail safely as the crew of a sloop-rigged keelboat 6 to 12 meters with an outboard in 5 – 20 knots (not gusting over 25 knots) of wind by day. This Standard is ideal for individuals with limited on-water experience. The course builds basic sailing skills with a focus on the operation of the vessel as a crew member. This standard is recommended for those with little boating or sailing experience that want to experience sailing on a keelboat and begin to build basic sailing skills in a relaxed environment and at a comfortable pace.
Sessions will primarily be in the boat and on water. Candidates will be evaluated on their ability to follow instructions as crew while assisting in vessel operation and on their understanding of the terminology and concepts that are part of the Standard. Candidates will be asked to complete a workbook as an open book learning exercise before the end of the sessions. Candidates must achieve at least 70% on the workbook.
Basic Keelboat Cruising
Upon completion of this four day on the water course, students will be able to cruise safely in familiar waters as both skipper and crew of a sloop-rigged keelboat of 6 to 10 meters with an outboard motor in moderate wind and sea conditions by day. The focus of this standard is on the development of basic sailing and seamanship skills as well the knowledge needed to make the decisions expected of a skipper. Basic boating skills are developed under sail and power with a focus on operating the vessel as both crew and skipper. Individuals with minimal practical on-water experience should consider completing the Start Keelboat Sailing Standard before attempting this training.
For more information on Basic Keelboat Cruising, please visit Sail Canada course description.
Course material includes:
- On-water instruction (24 hours)
- Classroom theory (ashore knowledge) sessions
- Sail Canada textbook and pre-course package
- Logbook and Sail Canada seal upon successful completion
All BYC Keelboat programs at the BYC include:
- Instruction on a BYC Sail Canada approved teaching vessel – a Mirage 24
- Safety equipment and procedures
- Crew-overboard procedures
- Boat handling under power and sail
- Undocking, Docking and anchoring
- Commands and terminology
- Reefing and knots
- Basic weather and chart reading
- Rules of the road
- Students are required to wear a properly fitted, approved PFD with a whistle at all times when on the boat and on BYC docks (bring your own or use a PFD provided by the school)Deck shoes, white-soled running shoes or other non-marking shoes
- Windproof / waterproof jacket or foul weather gear
- Sun hat or cap and sunscreen
- Soft-sided bag with water, snacks and extra clothing for hot, cool, wet or windy conditions
Keelboat Private Lessons
Private keelboat lessons offer a chance for one-on-one coaching with one of our Sail Canada certified instructors BYC’s approved teaching vessel – a Mirage 24 Keelboat. Lesson times can be worked around your schedule and lesson topics can be catered to your skill level and experience. In this course, you will have more freedom in working with your coach to develop a program specialized for you and that will specify your learning to what you hope to accomplish over the course of your sessions.
Minimum two hours. Boat setup and takedown are part of the lesson time.
Semi-private lessons are for two participants.
Private Lessons Dates & Prices
June 03, 2021 – September 04, 2021
- Private Lesson (Primary Participant) – Two hours
- BYC Members – $80
- Non-BYC Members – $100
- Private Lesson (Primary Participant) – Five hours
- BYC Members – $200
- Non-BYC Members – $250
- Semi-Private Lesson (Additional Participant) – Two hours
- BYC Members – $60
- Non-BYC Members – $75
- Semi-Private Lesson (Additional Participant) – Five hours
- BYC Members – $180
- Non-BYC Members – $225
You do not need to be a member to register.
3 Start Keelboat Sailing – $400
July 23-25 / Aug 6-8 / Sept 3-5
– Friday Night 6 – 9 pm
– Saturday & Sunday 9 am- 3 pm
Basic Keelboat Cruising – $800
(Two Weekends – Saturday and Sunday 9 am – 3 pm)
– July 3-4 & July 17-18
– August 14-15 & Aug 21-22
– Sept 11-12 & Sept 18-19
You do not need to be a member to register.